#shanenaz2016

November 2016 - I and my pals cycled in The Galilee, Northern Israel, to raise money for Nazareth Hospital Paediatric Department. We raised over £50,000 but we could use more! Nazareth is the largest Arab town in Israel; the people are lovely, and the kids are awesome. Nazareth also treats kids in the West Bank of Palestine who have very limited access to healthcare. They need your help! Go to my sponsorship page to find out more and see what you can do! Maybe even join us in 2017..?
http://justgiving.com/shanenaz2016

24 August 2010

Homeopathy posters removed

Unauthorised posters promoting quackery have been removed from the postgraduate centre noticeboards in Belfast City Hospital. Hospitals should be places of healing, not pandering to New Age crystal-hugging woo.

7 comments:

  1. Excuse me, but homeopathy is not 'new age crystal hugging woo'. You obviously display a misunderstanding of the basic tenets of this form of medical therapy. I recommend a book by Alan Crook, 'A Christian Guide to Homeopathy'. I am a veterinarian, and follower of Christ, who happens to use mostly homeopathy in my practice, with great results. Please don't lump homeopathy in with herbalism, new age, etc without understanding what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Todd, thanks for the comment. Unfortunately homeopathy is not a medical therapeutic modality, but a pseudoscience. It is not just that it lacks a mechanism, but that any effect claimed for homeopathy (if any) cannot be linked to the water/sugar actually dispensed. I recommend "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre for a good overview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, now. Homeopathy is a better placebo than a crystal healing placebo.

    (-;

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, Graham, I presume you have randomised controlled trial evidence to show that?

    Remember the plural of "anecdote" is not "data" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugar tablets taste nice, and you can't chew on a crystal.

    I think you'll find my logic irrefutable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyway, I thought that the plural of anecdote was "The God Delusion"!

    (Goldacre's chapter on "the meaning effect" was absolutely brilliant. I need to get back to that book. Good call.)

    You might appreciate this:

    http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-09-05/

    And Dogbert's thoughts:

    Dogbert: This'll cure you immediately.
    Dilbert: Really? What is it?
    Dogbert: A placebo.
    Dilbert: A placebo? Now that you've told me it's a placebo, it's not gonna work.
    Dogbert: It will if you think it will.
    Dilbert: But I already know it's a placebo!
    Dogbert: Maybe it isn't.
    Dilbert: You just said it was!
    Dogbert: That's precisely the power of the placebo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete